The IT Services team operates and supports the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and at the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona and Rome.
As part of IT Services, the Network and Security team is responsible for managing and developing the network infrastructure for our data centres, on the campus and our links towards external network providers. To support EMBL’s highly data-intensive research, which involves extensive data flows at and between the laboratory’s six sites and to the Internet, EMBL, as a leading scientific institution is connected to national and international scientific networks using state-of-the-art technologies from vendors including Cisco, Extreme Networks and Fortinet.
We are looking for an experienced Network and Security Engineer to join our team at EMBL Heidelberg.
- Design, implement and operate the network infrastructure at multiple EMBL sites
- Manage routers, switches, firewalls and other network components
- Manage and develop network access control
- Work closely with suppliers and providers to support the operation and further development of our network infrastructure
- Evaluate the latest networking technologies
- Collaborate with the IT teams across all EMBL sites
- Maintain technical documentation
- A degree in computer science and/or equivalent professional experience
- Expertise in operating high-throughput networking technologies to support cutting-edge science
- The ability to work in a self-motivated team and to drive technical decisions
- A customer-oriented personality and excellent communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of English and German, for dealing with local suppliers and companies
- Willingness to travel occasionally, mostly to other EMBL sites
You might also have
- Experience in topics such as virtual networking, zero-trust security model, software defined networking
Enjoy lots of benefits
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, a comprehensive pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, subsidised canteen and cafeteria, on-site library, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-German residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
- The contract duration is of 3 years, renewable to a maximum of 9 years
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions
- The working language of the institute is English
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought, therefore we welcome all individuals to apply.
- Job location: This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany. You will be required to relocate if you are based elsewhere and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply, please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system.
- Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.org/itservices.
Send your application via Apply button by 19. July 2022
European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO)
Do something meaningful
At EMBL you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL conducts world-class excellent biological research, provides advanced training for students and scientists, and provides state-of-the-art technologies for a wide range of scientific and experimental services.
Join a culture of innovation
This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential. We are located in Heidelberg, a scientific hub in Germany and home to several internationally renowned research facilities adjacent to its world-famous university. Heidelberg is also a popular tourist destination due to its romantic cityscape, including the Heidelberg Castle, the beautiful Baroque old town, amongst others.